Saturday, January 26, 2008

On the eve of the big 6 0....



I am reflecting on my life a little. I cleaned up the small backyard altars I have for my parents. My mom worked for a vet for many years so I have the little broken animal and bird (she loved birds) along with a seashell because she loved the beach. The berries are from a plant in the front of my house that she loved. Her best friend since childhood, Louise, had one also. Cedar Waxwings come every year and pick it clean. I hope I don't miss them. The shell windchime is something they had at every home they ever had. The scoop is the scoop my mom had in her flour tin always. The vase is from England where her dad was born.

My dad shared my mom's love for the sea. He was a member of the Power Squadron in Ventura and the Yacht Club there too. He sold ag chemicals and was also the last of the citrus tree fumigators. The red chalk-like thing is something he always carried in his pocket so he could circle a hole in any of the huge canvas tents that are put over the trees before they pumped cyanide under them. Scary huh? So he learned to use an industrial sewing machine to patch the holes which lead him to make boat covers etc. for people. If we went to the house to visit, we always left with a bag he would have run out to the garage and sew up from some old patched canvas, usually full of citrus. I still have a few special bags.

I feel so lucky to have had such great parents. My brothers do too. It is our favorite topic when we are together. I see so many things in my life that I do and are interested in that are because of them. They are why I am the way I am. I see it more and more everyday. I am so thankful....old but thankful.

3 comments:

Lori S-C said...

happy birthday. what a fortunate life you have had! Enjoy many more years...

Jane LaFazio said...

Happy Happy Birthday Syd! what lovely altars for your parents, glad you told us the details and meanings.

Tara's Art Camp said...

I love your shrines. Happy birthday,,,,I'm a little late.

My sewing machine had to go to the doctor and its back now. I'll be sending a little something your way soon.

We had a snow day here today but for some reason I didn't make a stitch of art!!!!